Hi fellow CMIOs, CNIOs, Informatics friends, and other clinical leaders,
For this last post of 2022, I'm sharing some helpful slides I've used when presenting to new clinical leaders about the importance of knowing how to plan and run a good meeting :
- It's very helpful for every clinical leader to familiarize yourself with Robert's Rules of Order ( www.robertsrules.com ), a well-known and helpful book on running all sorts of meetings - from small informal ones to large formal ones. In addition to meeting planning, you'll learn about chairperson responsibilities, and the different types of motions and actions that help make meetings run smoother.
- Using the sample charter, agenda, and minutes templates that I've shared above can help you run your meetings in an organized and productive way.
- Practice, practice, practice - Running a meeting or chairing a committee takes work and practice. (Don't worry - Everyone eventually learns this skill!)
- Learn from other Clinical Leaders - What worked? What didn't?
- Remember the future of healthcare is shared governance - Healthcare is a team sport - You can learn a lot from your fellow nursing, physician, pharmacy, or other clinical leaders!
- Keep reading and keep learning!